Sidescrollers!

A small topic for english speaking users =)
Répondre
Vincere
El Smarto

Ok,

As I think that sidescrollers are part of the shmups family, I thought it'd've been cool to discuss about them to see the tastes of every one of you.

Name your favorite sidescrollers and as I know many games are sidescrolling-related without being real sidescrollers, don't worry about that, name them.

For the ones who think I'm dumb because sidescrollers=shmups, go back learn what a sidescroller is.

My favorite are:

Metal Slug series
Contra
Magician Lord ( I will speak about difficulty :blah: )
Castlevania series

I know Castlevania is more or less a sidescroller but it doesn't matter. I love it, period.

Concerning the difficulty of Magician Lord, it's barely bearable. Ok, there are 8 worlds of pain in the ass. I managed to reach the 7th. Thanks to between 30 and 40 continues. That means 100-120 lives. For 7 levels.
The 7th already has taken me 20 continues without being completed.

I'M FUCKING FED UP WITH THAT GAME!!

And I just realized the last levels was made of all the guardians to kill in 1 credit. I'm laughing.

I usually don't hate pattern-learning games like Pulstar or viewpoint but this one really blew my rage up.

Discuss.
deaf
No-bullet mode

I like all the ones you listed, but what about Megaman? I grew up playing the 8-bit ones. Then the X series came along as I started to appreciate gaming. It hasn't been so great nowadays, but the old games are still great.

Another great sidescroller was Gunstar Heroes. I played that game with a friend of mine for hours on end. They don't make great co-op games like that anymore.

Strider was a great game as well. That game was so fast and hectic, the sound of the sword cutting was so rewarding, and you could hang off of walls, it was so fun.

I never played Magician Lord though, I might need to check that out...
Vincere
El Smarto

It's interesting that you'd talk about Megaman because I'm just into it for now on.
I just finished Megaman X4 with X and I'm trying to fight the 8 bosses to Zero but it just seem too hard for me. No matter, it's a pure sidescroller, one that make you remember the best of the genre. Megaman series is one of my favorite series because there are all the ingredients of pure action games.

Megaman 8 is far more easy in the levels but the bosses are a damn hard compared to X4's.
Megaman X will always be my favorite with Megaman, even if Zero's series is tremendously enjoyable.

Concerning Magician Lord, just keep in mind that several people in the neo scene call it the "sidescrolling Pulstar". You've been warned about the insane "pattern-learning" side of the game. ;)
ShinobiOfGaming
Sniper Fou

Uh, I was thinking about buying Magician Lord for my Neo, but it seems really hard... Just a question: How is it possible to use so much continues? Do you play on MVS? Or Mame in MVS mode?

I remember that I tried the first level at a shop, I was frightened by my weak level...

People told me that this game was not really a "must have". But it is not really expensive, so... What do you thing about this: Buying it or not?
yace
Ben... yace, quoi

Magician Lord is one of the hardest games I ever played. This game scared me shitless. But it was great!
To my mind, I like the Metal-Slug series, Contra, Rockman, and the former Castlevania...And Mercs, Fixeight, Skyblazer...

The first Rockman available on NES was not a piece of cake!!!
Playlist TBYVGS

On nous promet les cieux, nom de Dieu, pour toute récompense
Tandis que ces messieurs, nom de Dieu, s'arrondissent la panse, sang Dieu!
Nous crevons d'abstinence, nom de Dieu, nous crevons d'abstinence!
ShinobiOfGaming
Sniper Fou

Oh yeah, talking about contra series, I put the cd of contra shaterred soldier in my ps2, it was a long time since I play this game and it was very funny but hardcore too...

I love the music, is there anybody who could tell me if this is the same spirit for Neo Contra?
yace
Ben... yace, quoi

neo Contra is a game which changes all about what we used to see in Contra. It's more funny (like Metal Slug), but as far as I'm concerned, I think we lost the "Contra spirit".

For instance, I think this game seriously lacks of violence and feeling...I mourn this loss of pleasure a lot.

Pity....
Playlist TBYVGS

On nous promet les cieux, nom de Dieu, pour toute récompense
Tandis que ces messieurs, nom de Dieu, s'arrondissent la panse, sang Dieu!
Nous crevons d'abstinence, nom de Dieu, nous crevons d'abstinence!
Atryu
Empereur Bydo
Page Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/AlphaExitium/

herm... so you consider Rockman as a sidescroller (ok, the scrolling is horizontal most of the time... fair enough.) and a shmup?

Isn't Rockman a platform game? (maybe it's just me...)

anyway,

best sidescrollers (real shmups!) in my opinion:

- Area88 (U.N. Squadron in NA, SFC... I like the arcade version too!)
- Winds of Thunder (NEC)
- Thunder Force 4 (Megadrive) and 5 (Saturn)

...and I don't really consider it a shmup, but I am a big Elevator Action Returns Fan!!!^^
Dernière modification par Atryu le 11 août 2006, 06:17, modifié 1 fois.
J'avoue moi, l'IRL, c'est un pay2win!
Vincere
El Smarto

Sidescrollers ain't shmups. They're just horizontally-scrolling action/shooting games.
Gazzul
Big Boss Killer

I think I'm lost here ...

If I understand correctly, in 1 year and 10 months, you've changed your opinion from "Sidescrollers belong to the shmup genre" to "Sidescrollers DOES NOT belong to the shmup genre" ...

What makes you change your mind all of a sudden ?
What led you to such a realization ?
Atryu
Empereur Bydo

Gazzul a écrit : What makes you change your mind all of a sudden ?
Phoenix Genma-ken? :D
Gazzul
Big Boss Killer

Huuuh ?
I don't understand ...
I haven't seen an episode of Saint Seiya since I was 14, so maybe I'm missing something here !
Atryu
Empereur Bydo

Gazzul a écrit :Huuuh ?
I don't understand ...
I haven't seen an episode of Saint Seiya since I was 14, so maybe I'm missing something here !
No, it's just 'cause when Ikki does his Genma-ken, the enemy always realises that he was wrong and changes his mind regarding his agenda...

So it's like... you though that sidscroller were shmups, but after receiving the Genmaken, you "realised" there were not...

(sorry, it was an otaku-joke...) -_-'

..once explained, it not that funny, I give you that...^^
Vincere
El Smarto

Gazzul a écrit :I think I'm lost here ...

If I understand correctly, in 1 year and 10 months, you've changed your opinion from "Sidescrollers belong to the shmup genre" to "Sidescrollers DOES NOT belong to the shmup genre" ...

What makes you change your mind all of a sudden ?
Who are you talking to? Don't know what you're getting at...

If it's about me, re-read my first post.
Atryu
Empereur Bydo

Sorry, I'm confused too...

Here is a quote from your first post:
As I think that sidescrollers are part of the shmups family
And then:
Sidescrollers ain't shmups. They're just horizontally-scrolling action/shooting games.
hence: 8O

(I believed this is what puzzeled Gazzul...)
Vincere
El Smarto

Yes, "family" was the word I shouldn't have used. Say I see several types of games: RPG, vs fighting, puzzle or action. Both shmups and sidescrollers fall into this latest category.

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I sometimes write thing that seems so crystal-clear to me that I don't take time to go further into the thinking.
Johnny_Crypt
Brute du bouton A

You guys are so confused!!! 8O Someone knows about a game called RYGAR??
Dernière modification par Johnny_Crypt le 03 oct. 2006, 21:32, modifié 1 fois.
Johnny_Crypt
Brute du bouton A

Hi man, so you live in sherbrooke...tu programme en C++ ?
Dernière modification par Johnny_Crypt le 26 juin 2007, 12:59, modifié 2 fois.
Répondre